What are the main differences between Oculus Touch and Vive controllers?

Any one knows if the Oculus Rift Touch controllers have any advantages over the Vive controllers. I know that there quite different by design and that’s about it. The Oculus Touch seems more comfortable, ergonomic wise, and I think it will be easier to play with the Touch controllers for a longer period of time compared to the Vive controllers.

1 Like

According to this article on uploadvr.com, Vive wins in tracking performance due to its lighthouse tracking system which allows very accurate measurement down to sub-millimeter. The article also mentioned the build quality, where the Vive seems to have the upper hand.

Other than that, the Touch wins in all the other categories, including the hand presence due to the ergonomic design and button layout, which is also a category that the Touch controllers easily win here.

In that specific comparison, the Oculus Touch controller concluded as a winner. When you look at the Touch Controllers, you can see that its developers put a great deal of attention to all the fine details and many people that tried it praised its amazing comfortability, ergonomics and the immersion it brings when playing Rift VR games.

1 Like

The Oculus Touch looks like people put more though into it. The curve design was design to perfectly match the curve of the inner part of the hand. It will definitely be more comfortable than the Vive motion tracked controllers. The analog sticks and the two buttons will allow more intuitive handling, especially when playing fast-paced games.

I think that these two images speak for itself. It’s going to be a big deal for some games. The Vive controller’s design is just plain wrong in my opinion, and I can’t see myself playing with those controllers for a long period of time.

1 Like

I agree, everything with the Rift screams ergonomics, even the headset design is smaller and more comfortable than the Vive. One thing that you haven’t mentioned is that the Vive controller has a trackpad, the Oculus Touch controllers do not. I think trackpads are a terrible idea and I personally prefer playing games with analog sticks.

When I come to think about it, I believe that some games might be played more conveniently with one controller than the other. There are many games that just use the front and rear buttons and the motion tracking capability, but I definitely see some games like first-person shooters that can be more intuitive and comfortable to play with the Oculus Touch. Some users mentioned that moving their player with the touchpad is way too smooth and not intuitive compared to the analog sticks, so it might be a problem with some games where the player is not stationary, and in those games, the Oculus Touch might provide a better gameplay experience.

I think this is one reason why some games employed two movement mechanics, one that teleports the player and one that provides a fluid movement - this is also done to minimize motion sickness as well.

It also kind of odd when you come to think about it. There are some games that cross-platform between PC and PS4 is not supported due to the mouse superior accuracy opposed to the DualShock controller. So I wonder how developers will tackle this issue (if it indeed arises) if the Oculus Touch will be considered more accurate for some games than the Vive controllers - will they allow cross-headset play between the Rift and the Vive (cross-headset play, will we see a term like that popping out in the near future)?

We also cannot ignore the fact that both systems support third party controllers, that might provide superior accuracy for certain types of games, and there might be a controller that provides better accuracy than the one for the other headset. When I look at the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift I see those as two distinct platforms, like PC and PS4. We can see that each one has its own complimentary accessories, its own exclusives, and its own application store. This why I think that both the Vive and Rift will be treated like individual platforms, although their games will run on the same machine, a PC computer.

2 Likes

I think once you try out Bullet Train with the Oculus Touch controllers, you’ll understand what the fuss is all about, it’s the perfect controller for first-person shooters (but the PlayStation PS VR Aim Controller does look promising, but it’s for the PS4 so).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmaxmnPzMWE

1 Like

Yeh I totally agree with you, the controller was designed with FPS games in mind, I’m pretty sure about it, you get both a better sense of presence and you are more immersed within the game when the hand motion feels like you are shooting with a real gun… holy moly :scream:

Honestly, I don’t see a huge difference between the two. That being said, I think that the HTC Vive controller is better than what some people have suggested here.

The design is less impressive than the Oculus Touch, I agree with that, but I think that the Vive controller was designed like this due to how its 360-degree motion tracking system works. The Vive controller also comes with a multi-function trackpad with HD haptic feedback and 12 sensors in each controller for very accurate tracking performance. The controller also has dual-stage triggers with haptic feedback as well, it’s a really an impressive piece of engineering if you ask me.

update: Read this article. According to Fantastic Contraption dev, there are “almost identical”.

I was wondering, if an exclusive game was designed to be played with the Oculus Touch controllers, can people play it with the Revive on the HTC Vive with the Vive controllers?

Controllers aside, it seems that the HTC Vive is a head of the competition. On the other hand, some believe that HTC Vive doesn’t have a future in VR.

I tried the Vive controllers are my friend’s house, and they are really robust and not as clunky as I thought they would be.

I’ve never heard anyone complaining about the Vive controllers ergonomics before.

For Windlands at least, people say Oculus Touch is the best way to go (source: uploadvr.com).