The Oculus Quest 2 controllers run on AA batteries—A single AA battery for each controller to be precise. The battery resides inside a smaller compartment covered by a plastic that can be slide out.
Here is a video that shows how to open the Oculus Quest 2 controller’s cover and how to insert the AA battery in the right way without causing damage to the controller.
Let’s go over this step-by-step:
- Make sure you have 1 or 2 charged AA batteries ready depends on whether you play to change it for 1 or both controllers. You can use regular AA batteries or chargeable ones.
- Hold the controller with the side opposite of the grip button face you.
- Put your index finger alongside that side, while your thumb firmly holding the controller at the grip button side.
- Pull the index finger down slowly. Don’t apply too much force. Put the force where the thumb is. The cover should open.
- Put the cover down.
- Take the battery out of the compartment by pulling it up from the plus (’+’) side. Use a sharp or small object to put a bit of force upwards, be careful not to do any damage or damage the battery or the controller.
- Take a single charged AA battery. Make sure the ‘–’ side of the battery is facing the upper side of the controller (where the buttons are). Insert the minus (’—’) side first to the niche of the compartment. Then push the plus side (’+’) gently until it sits in place.
- Put the cover back by sliding it with the rounded side facing downwards and the sharp side facing upwards where the buttons of the controllers are located. Do this until you hear a snap.
That’s it, you are done and you can repeat it for the second controller. Make sure to check in the headset that both controllers are working and that you put the batteries in the right orientation and properly into the battery compartment. If not, you might need to open it again and make sure it’s right in place.