Releasing a PSVR game on Day One isn't a walk in the park for most developers

Many developers have spent a great deal of time, effort and money to bring PS VR gamers the best possible VR experience, what they see as the way VR meant to be played. Many of them will be releasing their titles on day one and some will follow shortly after.

It might sound like a time for celebration, but as a developer myself, I know this isn’t going to be easy for most of them. Just think about it, all those developers are competing against each other for the consumer’s wallet. When the PlayStation VR arrived, the cake will split between all of them. Some developers preferred to wait and release their title after launch, so their sales won’t be affected by the amount of titles being released in a single day. There are more than 53 titles available for the PS VR on day-1. Even if you have a great game, many gamers won’t buy it because they might prefer buying another game, they can’t buy it all. It might be better for game developers and publishers to let all the launch madness fade away, so their new title gets more focus and won’t be lost in all the massive game releases.

On the other hand, releasing a game on day-1 also means a lot of exposure in the media, but advertising pricing is also going to be a lot more expensive. Many of the games are high budget games, including Resident Evil 7 VR, Farpoint, RIGS Mechanized Combat League, Batman: Arkham VR, Eve: Valkyrie and others. There are also many indie companies with less budget that hope to eat a good portion of the cake while competing against many high-quality titles.

Day-1 isn’t easy, but there is a huge market for PSVR and a huge potential for sales. I’m very interested to know which of these titles will appear as the best seller on amazon.com, which one PS VR owners liked the most. I guess we’ll need to wait and see.

1 Like

Agree, like is it wasn’t enough for them to work hard adapt to this new technology, now they have to compete versus 53 titles launching on the same day. Hard for developers but great for us gamers!

ain’t going to be easy, but they have million of potential customers, that’s not bad either I have to say.