PlayStation VR vs Google Daydream - which one should I buy?

Hi guys, my name is Adelbert, happy to meet you all. I need your help in deciding which VR platform I should invest in, PlayStation VR or the Google’s mobile VR, Daydream. I bought the PS4 a year ago and I really like playing games on it. I am thinking of buying the PS VR because of the wide variety of VR titles available for it and I can afford to pay $400 for the headset, as I already have the PlayStation camera and the move controllers.

An alternative option is to get into mobile VR, specifically, Google Daydream. I’m sure Daydream will become very popular and probably will rule the mobile VR market in a year or two. The reason why I am leaning towards Daydream is because I assume there will be many apps and games for it, as well as many free apps. I know that Daydream won’t be able to compete against PS VR in terms of graphics and won’t have the same great triple-A exclusives as the PSVR, but I love the fact that I can take it when I go visit friends or when traveling abroad, the portability seems like a big advantage. I’m sure there are going to be a lot of great exclusives for it as well. I also learned that graphics isn’t everything. I really enjoyed playing games on my friend’s Gear VR headset, some of them were so much fun that I found myself playing them many hours straight and enjoying them not less than I enjoy my favorite PS4 games (the nonVR ones).

BTW, I don’t currently own a Daydream-compatible phone or a headset in that matter.

As you can see, I am very confused and having a really hard time making a decision. I really need your help. Hoping that you can help me out.

1 Like

Hi Adelbert and welcome to the forum, nice to meet you :slight_smile:

First of all, Daydream is aimed for November 10, 2016, so it’s not available as of the time of writing - just so you know. Second, there are many variables that needs to be considered prior to making a decision.

Price

Let’s talk about pricing first. You already have the PS4, so as you mentioned, for the PSVR you need to pay only around $400 if you live in the US, I don’t know what the price in other countries, but you mentioned $400, so I assume that how much it costs in your country.

As for now, there are four Daydream compatible phones from what I’ve read, the newly announced Google Pixel and Pixel X, Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe and the ZTE Axon 7. The Nexus 6P can also be used to build and test Daydream, but it’s not not what Google calls Daydream-ready, I didn’t say it, Google did.

The ZTE Axon 7, the unlocked version price starts at $400 the last time I checked via amazon.com and on Best Buy. The Google Pixel starts from $649 for the cheapest version and around $745 for the XL model. Of course you can reduce the initial pay by buying it with a 24/mo commitment, but I compare it to the full price.

So, as you can see, just the phone itself costs more or less than the PSVR headset. The Daydream View headset is being sold separately for $79, BUT, if you pre-order one of Google Pixel phones, you get the Daydream View headset for free.

Keep in mind that there might be other Daydream phones and headset that are cheaper or more expensive than the Google offering. So this is for the price, and do your own math if that’s stand within your budget - from what I understand it is.

Graphic Performance

The PS4 comes with a 8-core processor. 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon graphics card and 8GB of GDDR5 RAM. There is also the PS4 Pro, which is a much more powerful computing device. It comes with x86-64 AMD “Jaguar” 8-core CPU, 4.20 TFLOPS AMD Radeon based graphics card, 8GB of GDDR5 memory plus 1GB of VRAM.

These are really powerful consoles. In comparison, we can see that the ZTE Axon 7 comes with a Snapdragon 820 processor and 4GB of RAM. The Snapdragon 820 is the minimum chipset requires for the CPU and GUP performance, and some suggests that a 4GB of RAM is the minimum requirement (I didn’t came across an official specs). I assume that there are also other hardware specs related to the sensors which are required so a phone will be Daydream-ready, and Google certifies those by collaborating with its phone manufactures hardware partners, to make sure they are ready to run its mobile VR platform.

So performance wise, the PSVR is by far the most powerful ones. This obviously means much better visuals and faster frame rates in potential.

So we probably won’t going to see open world VR games for Daydream, even PSVR is somewhat restrictive at this. If you look at the current mobile phone game library for Gear VR, you can see what you can expect to see in Daydream. It’s more or less the same as Gear VR, because Gear VR also has some high specs requirements and works only with Samsung high-end devices like the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 edge, S6 edge and S6 edge+.

Don’t get me wrong, games will still look great, but it depends on the scale of the game and as you mentioned yourself, graphics isn’t everything.

If you want to play games with the highest graphics fidelity, PS VR is probably the best option among the two.

##Portability

You mentioned it and I completely agree. Portability is one of the main reasons mobile devices are so popular. You will need to carry the headset with you, but it’s a relatively small and lightweight headset, it’s very easy to carry around in a bag. I can tell you from my own experience, I didn’t took my PS4 abroad when I was on a long vacation (3 months) to Barcelona Spain, it’s just very uncomfortable to carry the console and all the cables and accessories around. If you have lots of physical games (not digital), it’s even worse.

With Google Daydream it’s all digital, you carry the phone with you anyways wherever you go, and carrying the headset in a bag is not such a big deal, compared to carrying both the PS4 console, all its accessories and the needed PS VR hardware and all the cables, it’s not mobile-friendly in any way, the Daydream is.

##Game Variety

As for now, PS VR had more titles, but you can expect a rain of apps and games coming to Daydream very soon. You are going to see much more games for it compared to PSVR. The reason I know that is just by looking at the number of games available for the PS4 compared to the Android and iOS app stores, it’s not even a comparison. So I predict that there will be much more games to play on the Daydream than on PS VR.

That’s quantity of course, the quality depends on how developers are able to use this medium to deliver great experiences, but obviously I believe that they will do that and we are going to see some really amazing VR games, even some great triple-A titles from the leading mobile game developers.

Just look at this website Daydream category. There are some really cool games like Fruit Ninja VR, InMind 2, Need for Speed: No Limits VR, wonderglade, Eve: Gunjack Next, all are really amazing titles and more and more are coming very soon.

I will talk more about other features in the next post, taking a short break :slight_smile:

1 Like

##Customer Base / Community
I didn’t brought it up earlier, but I think it’s very important subject. When the PSVR launched, there were already 36 million PS4 units sold in the world. So there are many gamers who only need to invest in a headset (maybe the camera Move controllers as well) to start enjoying VR. that’s what made PSVR so popular and boost its popularity among casual gamers compared to the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift.

Now, with mobile phones it’s a bit different. I don’t believe that many people will rush buying a Daydream-ready phone just for its VR features. If it was a software-option, I’m sure that a large portion of Android owners would have installed it. The thing is that people will need to upgrade or buy a second device in order to enjoy Daydream. This means, for example, replacing your iPhone 6 with the Google Pixel, or just buying the Google Pixel for its Daydream compatibility. You can see the dilemma here - not many iPhone users and people who can afford buying a high-end device would do it, especially before knowing what Apple is planning. Maybe Apple comes out with its own VR or AR hardware.

I believe that Google Pixel will be a popular device, and there would be many new Daydream-ready phones coming out in 2017. I believe that it will start slowly but will progress fast. So the customer base will grow as more and more Daydream-ready phones become cheaper and available on many other devices. This is why it’s hard to compare a mobile VR platform to a console VR platform.

I believe that the penetration will be slow, and although I believe there will be a significant growth two years from now, I think that many developers will wait for the platform to become mature before investing their time and money to develop new games and experiences for it. PSVR has a large customer base from day one and the sells went really well for Sony.

This is also a good opportunity for new Daydream developers to get more attention, because they are not swallowed by millions of other titles, therefore it’s easier to market their games, it’s also much cheaper. This is why we are going to see quite a few games and even some ports from other platform likes Mekorama, Fruit Ninja VR, Archer E. Bowman, Affected: The Manor and some other titles.

there are currently more than 30 titles for Daydream, some really good titles among those to be honest. No doubt that Daydream needs much more titles. November is here (tomorrow). By the way, Daydream View will be released on November 10th, so I assume that’s were Daydream officially launches.

I’m just bringing up this subject, because I want you to get your expectation straight, and don’t expect this platform to explode on day one, I don’t see this happen after doing my own little analysis of the mobile VR market, and particularly Google daydream. It will take some time. Having said that, I do think that we’ll get to see some indie games coming out every week or so, but again, we’ll need to wait and see.

I’ll add more information soon, stay subscribed to the topic. Hope this information helps :wink:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the in-depth answer. You really helped me with that information. I am leaning towards Daydream for now. I agree that it might take some time for Daydream to mature, but because it’s a Google’s platform, I believe that many developers will get motivation to develop games early on as you say and to catch up with the trend as early as possible. It will be interesting to see how Daydream is adopted among mobile phone owners when the first headset is released. I will follow the news and early reviews and then try to make out my mind.