No Man's Sky inventory item capacity limit

I wanted to know if anyone knows if there is a limit on the number of items you can carry in the inventory? After the vault space limit issue in Destiny, I never want to see inventory limit in a game ever again. From watching some gameplay videos, it seems that there is a limit, but I’m not sure. I also want to know if there is a limit on the number of materials that you can carry, like if you carry 100 Carbon if it consumes a square in the inventory and uses another one for the next 100 Carbon materials.

no man's sky inventory screenshot

For example, in the above image, you can see that there are 25 slots. Some are grayed out, others are not, so I don’t know how to actually understand how the inventory functions in No Man’s Sky.

I’m also not sure about it. When you look at the items in the exosuite inventory for example (the image that you shared above), you can see a white bar at the bottom of each one. I think that the bar of the materials might signify the total amount that you can carry, but if that’s true, I don’t understand why there is also a bar in the Shield and Jetpack. Maybe it shows the progression status, how much is needed before you can upgrade the item. I am saying this, because in this video that I linked (to minute 4:59), you can see that the multitool inventory slots have a Beam Amplifier with a number two besides it, which I assume it’s a second upgrade applied to it and there is not more upgrades available, if they were, you would see a white bar at the bottom. Or maybe the technology to upgrade to upgrade number 3 is not researched (although I can see it when he opens the build technology window).

So for example, the Boltcaster is almost ready for upgrade 2, but it needs more materials. Again, I am not sure, I just assume base on what I see in the trailer.