Creating Card Art free for TCG/CCG Games for Developers

Using AI art like Midjourney, Stable Diffusion, and DALL-E 2, developers can easily create art for their trading card games.

Today I took the time to create animated art for a Hearthstone-like card game to showcase how easy and fast it is to make art for TCG/CCG card games. By that, I mean, high-quality graphics, not something that looks cheap.

Here is a video that demonstrates the concept using Midjourney (text-to-image AI) and the Motionleap app (iOS and Android animation and visual effects app for images; paid option but not expensive).

The process is as follows:

1. Create an art using text-to-image generative AI art tools like DALL-E, Midjourney, Stable Diffusion (DreamStudio), ImgCreator.ai and others.
  2. Make retouching and editing in Adobe Photoshop (e.g. like removing unneeded objects and correcting contrast, colors, etc.)
  3. Get a TCG template card frame (free or paid)
  4. Bringing the final image to the Motionleap app, adding visual effects and animation, and exporting the video (4K is available).
  5. Bring the video and card assets to Unity/Unreal Engine or any other game creation tool

Tips:

If you are a developer, you probably already know this. There is no need to bring the TCG card frame graphics (PNG) into Motionleap. You want to be able to reuse or change the card frame for other cards. This gives you more freedom to make changes just to a single instance of the frame, It also makes your game weigh less.

You can also then convert the video to animated PNG or animated GIF, depending on how you plan to use it and on which platform. Some want to make a card game for a browser, so it’s up to you to convert it (or not) to your platform of choice.

You can also use a card back graphic and use it in your game creation app to make it 3D. There are apps that can apply 3D transformation to the PNG image automatically, and you can use both the back of the card and the front to create a 3D TCG card.

I don’t have a lot of experience in Unity and similar game creation software, so I recommend reading online about how to implement it with your gaming IDE of choice.

Using this workflow, you can create many cards per day super-fast and this shortens the time and money needed to make a TCG game.

You are also not relying on a 3rd party to continue being available to generate more cards, you are in full control.

Regarding commercial use in a game using AI art, I am not a lawyer, so I recommend talking to a lawyer to get advice on that particular topic.

Thank you.