Can I play HTC Vive games on a mid-range PC?

I can’t afford to buy a new high-end machine that meets the minimum requirements, but I have the GeForce GTX 960 graphics card, an Intel Core i5-6600K processor and 8GB of RAM. Will it be enough for running games with the HTC Vive or I need to upgrade my graphics card or other components?

I don’t mind playing with slightly slower frame rates. I don’t want to invest money for nothing. I heard people saying that what HTC published is the recommended specs, not the minimum specs, so I thought I might be ok with what I’ve got. Can you help?

I agree, it’s quite confusing, some say recommended and some say minimum, and it doesn’t say if the Vive will operate on below the minimum requirements.

If you visit the official htcvive.com website, you can clearly see that it says: “Recommended PC Specs” and the specs that are shown are the one that are published on all of the websites that also referred to it as minimum system requirement. You can see that the NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 970 / AMD Radeon™ R9 290 equivalent or greater is there, and this is the recommended graphics card for the Vive.

You will be able to play Vive game on a lower-end PC, and it really depends on the game whether you get a good experience or not. Some games have higher demands than others. In [this post on reddit] (https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/4a0soe/low_end_pc_vr/), you can see that people were able to run Hover Junkers on a Radeon HD 7870. So many games will run just fine on lower-end machine, other will need more processing power ro run smoothly and with acceptable frame rates.

If you eager to get the Vive now, I think you should be fine with your setup for now, but as I think you’ll be frustrated when some good titles come and you won’t be able to play them. The recommended specs aren’t for decoration. Developers actually optimize their games for it. Indeed, there are many indie titles that have much less demanding specs, and those will run just fine.

It’s up to you whether you want to live with that limitation until you upgrade your computer to match the recommended specs - your call buddy.

1 Like

You have good specs, the only thing that is under the recommended specs is the graphics card, and yours is pretty good and I’ll think it will run most of the games just fine. As Spooky mentioned, these are the recommended specs, not the minimum, so I think you’ll be just fine. I’ll save money to upgrade that card in the future for something better than the 980, because the different between the 970 and 960 aren’t huge. Don’t get me wrong here, it’s a more powerful card (2494 GFLOPS vs 2308 GFLOPS) and with double the memory, but if you already spend money on a new card, get a more powerful one, something more future proof. I’m sure you don’t intend playing only VR games, don’t you?

1 Like

Thanks guys, I don’t understand a lot about hardware and stuff, just want to play games. I think I’ll just stay with what I’ve got and save for the Vive. When I have more money I’ll upgrade my PC.

I wouldn’t call that a mid-range PC, it’s powerful enough to run most games at reasonable frame rates.