Buy PlayStation VR or save money and get the Oculus Rift / HTC Vive

What you guys think about the PlayStation VR, is it worth it or perhaps it’s better to save more money and buy the Oculus Rift or the HTC Vive? (I also need to invest in a brand new high-end PC). It can take me a like 2-3 months before I can afford to buy the Rift.

It’s a very broad question, to be honest, but I’m sure many gamers are dealing with it as we speak. You didn’t tell us whether you own a PS4 or not, but I assume you do.

Nevertheless, there are a few things that you need to consider, let me name a few:

1. Community - what are your friends playing? If most of your friends are playing on the PS4 and you enjoy playing coop and MP games, I think you might be better off continue investing in that platform. This holds especially true if many of your friends will be buying the PSVR as well.

2. Exclusives and game selection - each title has its own exclusive titles and for some people, this is an important factor which leads them to decide which platform to play in. Furthermore, you should look at the selection of games and see which VR platform have the games that yo really enjoy playing. There is not doubt that PC has and continue to offer a large selection of VR games with relatively lower prices on average.

3. Graphics - PS4 in its current state (not talking about the ‘Neo’ version of it) can’t compete against the Vive or the Rift processing power, it just can’t. Games will definitely look better on the Vive and Rift unless Sony will introduce a new console that can offer a close match to the minimum system requirements of the Vive and Rift, but I highly doubt it, because the price of that console will be way too high for many people to afford, and Sony want its consoles to reach the broadest possible audience. Making an expensive console means fewer sales.

4. Room-scale and tracking controllers - HTC Vive and Oculus Rift will offer the best possible room-scale VR experience, the best motion tracking controllers and tracking performance. PSVR can’t match that. Most of the games will be optimized for seated experience, whether there are many Vive games right now that are developed for standing experience. If you want a room-scale experience and you see yourself playing these type of games, I’m sure that you’ll be better off investing in the HTC Vive or the Oculus Rift (when the Touch controllers are released at the end of the year).

These are just fewy things that you need to consider before making a decision. In an earlier topic, you also mentioned the brightness issue, so that’s something that you need to find out as well. If you didn’t play VR games before, I highly recommend trying it first hand. You are going to spend close to $2000 on a complete VR system (PC + Headset + Controllers), so think twice and understand the cons and pros of each one. If you don’t intend to play a lot, maybe you’ll be better with the PSVR with a relatively small investment, rather than spending a lot of money in a system that currently seems to be aimed at the hardcore gamer segment, or those who have no problem affording it.

If you live in the states, I think you can try the PSVR in gamestop stores, Google it out, I’m sure that there is an option to try the PSVR in first hand.

I hoped I helped a bit. I will ask my friend to join the conversation, he tried all the headsets and he has a strong opinion on each one.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the in-depth answer. Not an easy decision at all. I don’t live in the US, so I have no option to try it out. Most of my friends indeed have a PS4, but you can always join new communities and meet new friends :slight_smile:

I’m very interested in room-scale games, but I think that I will prefer playing most games while seating and not standing, don’t want to sweat while playing games if you know what I mean.

I need some time to consider things, and I have that time until the headset is released. I"ll be saving money anyways.

If you already have friends playing on the PS4, stick with it. That’s what convinced me to buy a console a few years back instead of investing my money on a high-end PC, and I don’t regret it for a second.

Hi VREpic, to your question,

Get the Oculus Rift, when the controllers are released, it’s going to be the most attractive headset. I also think it has the best exclusives, although some people use Revive to play those games on the Vive. Even Sony admits that the Rift is better than PSVR. My brother bought the Rift and I’ve been playing with it in the last couple of weeks, it’s such an amazing experience, believe me, for VR, you really want a powerful PC, it’s a must IMHO. I just can’t see VR taking off with the PS4 unless Sony introduces a more powerful console in 2017. Even with that, the PSVR headset, tracking performance and controllers are inferior to that of the Rift and Vive. The only thing going on better for the PSVR is the price.

If you have the budget, get the Oculus or Vive. PSVR is not competition for these headset.